Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Falafel Pitas

Whether they’re regional specialties or family favorites, sandwiches are well-loved in many sizes, flavors, and forms, and there’s a new book completely devoted to them. The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches is by Susan Russo from Food Blogga, and the photography is by Matt Armendariz from Matt Bites. I’ve known about this book for a while since I had the pleasure of testing a recipe for it, and I recently received a review copy. The sandwiches appear in the book in alphabetical order, and there are options made with waffles, bagels, doughnuts, English muffins, cookies, pound cake, rolls, buns, and many, many different types of bread. There’s also background information on where types of sandwiches originated and suggested alternative fillings in some cases. I was unfamiliar with a few of them like the chow mein sandwich and the chip butty, but there are also well-known favorites like the dagwood, the po’boy, and sliders. There are breakfast sandwiches like the Denver sandwich and the classic breakfast sandwich on an English muffin, there’s dessert with the pound cake sandwich and the ice cream sandwich, and there are classics like the Elvis and the lobster roll. It’s a fun book to peruse for sandwich ideas, and everything is so beautifully presented, I was instantly hungry when I started turning pages. The falafel pitas was my first stop since I can’t resist the mix of crunchy fried patties and cool, crisp toppings.

The sandwich recipe itself is followed by one for quick and easy falafel which involves using canned chickpeas rather than soaked, dried beans. To make the falafel, minced onion and garlic were briefly sauteed before being added to a food processor with rinsed and drained canned chickpeas, chopped parsley and cilantro, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Flour and baking powder were added, and the mixture was pulsed until it formed a paste. Then, balls were shaped from the mixture, they were rolled in sesame seeds, and they were flattened before being fried for a few minutes. I also followed the recipe in the book for tzatziki, and that was a quick mix of diced cucumber, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt, cayenne pepper, and fresh mint. The sandwiches were built in halved pita with falafel patties, some tahini, chopped lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and tzatziki.

Pita is such a perfect container for a sandwich. In the book, it’s also used for kofta pockets and spiedini pockets. Here, the falafel fit nicely with the toppings and tzatziki, and it’s just enough bread without being too much. The flavors and textures and the hot and the cold made this great. Now, I’m eyeing the toasted chocolate sandwich, or maybe next I should try the torta or the pepper and egg sandwich. With so many good options, I'll being trying lots of different sandwiches soon.



29 comments:

  1. Extremeéy yummy! I am a big fan of felafels and pita sandwiches.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to come through the screen and take a bite of this delicious looking sandwich! Love falafel, pita, and everything in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, its called "chip butty" here in England. Wierd eh? Its basically a french fry sandwich. I am not sure if they use mayo or not, I never had one. I think its looks kind of nasty. This is an English version of Trailer Trash food. I don't think I've ever seen it in any restaurant.
    Falafels are one of my all time favorites, Id take it over a chip butty any day ANY DAY!!! They look beautiful, did you shape them with some kind of special falafel press?
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now your falafel looks perfect, like cookies! I call that goodness in a "yummable" pocket!? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. HH: Yes, it should be "chip butty," and I'll update the post now! That was my typo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm I love the falafel dipped in sesame seed making the taste fuller :) And the pockets are too cute! Another wonderful looking dish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a reminder of how much I love falafel and that I need to make them real soon! They look incredibly good and so crave-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The falafels look so good, perfectly delicious in a pita sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a few blog posts about this book and I have to say that as a sandwich fan I should really look into this book a bit more. Thanks Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, falafels are great! My parents own a Greek deli, and although they don't make falafels, I can testify to the magic of tzitziki with veggies in a warm pita. Talk about delicious! Your photos are awesome too, my mouth is beginning to water just looking at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started feeling hungry! They look tempting with all those fresh vegetables and delicious falafels :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously considered making these for my review of the book, and now I'm wishing I had! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa this looks like heaven on earth! I cannot wait to give this a go. Thanks so much for sharing - the picture is worth a thousand drools!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These falafel pitas look amazing Lisa, I bookmarked! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures. This is another book I can't wait to get my hands on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! An encyclopedia of sandwiches? That must've been one heck of a project finding them all! What a great book this must be. And love felafel, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that a perfect bite if I ever saw one. These sound wonderful. On your recommendation I'm off to the library to reserve the book. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was thinking last night "gosh what can i cook tomorrow night, something meatless and somethng hearty at the same time?", and this is what im going to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like quite the book, I want to see the donut sandwich! Crispy falafel on pita really is one of my favorites so it would be fun to make it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for the review..curious to see the waffle sammy or the pund cake..your falafel look goregous, love the color!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  21. classic. i'll confess that more often than not, my pitas end up falling flat (literally), but that doesn't stop me from piling on (not in...) the good stuff. falafel is always good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The book sounds interesting and these falafels sound so tasty! I can't wait to try this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea to roll the falafel in sesame seeds, Lisa! Really like that. And serving it with tzatziki (just about my favorite dip) in the pita sounds delicious. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I keep on meaning to try falafels. I pass so many great falafel places in New York, but never seem to make my way into to get one. They look delicious and filling with all of the awesome accompaniments.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lisa,

    I love falafel and while I've made it before, there are so many great places, I've gotten lazy. You have me inspired to make some fresh.

    I've been incredibly busy lately and unfortunately have gotten way behind on my reading. I'm hoping to get caught up on the inspiration in your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a fan of falafel in any shape or form and would eat it for breakfast if I had the chance. Your version looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I do love these types of sandwiches, well, any type of sandwich really - & Lisa this felafel looks amazing. I have heard of this book, must investigate it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is simply fantastic! Just my kind of meal. I could eat this for every meal of my day.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips